Northern Lights Advisory Board
The Northern Lights Advisory Board (NLAB) is a collection of young people who have gone through an application process and have been elected by his or her peers to serve as the youth voice for Northern Lights Youth Services and Northern Lights SADD. The NLAB are lead by one student who is selected by the Northern Lights Youth Services Staff and Board, known as the Student of the Year. The key responsibilities of the NLAB are planning the Northern Lights Conference, assisting in creation of NL SADD programming and serving as ambassadors for the organization, just to name a few.
The 2016–2017 NLAB were asked the following questions:
- Why did you join SADD?
- What do you hope to get out of being on the NLAB?
- What is your favorite memory from conference?
Sommer, 2016–2017 Student of the Year (Bismarck, ND)
- I joined SADD to find a place in my school, later finding out that I loved what SADD was promoting, and I loved the people I met through the organization. It’s so great being with a group of ambitious people my age who believe the same things I do.
- This year, I would love for Minnesota to be more included in our awareness events, and to touch on topics like mental health and healthy relationships.
- Halli running into my arms to hug me and almost dropping her when I got to the Alerus Center
Chris (Redfield, SD)
- I joined SADD because of the opportunity of being a leader is very important to me
- I hope to inspire people and help them choose a healthy and smart lifestyle. I want to be able to talk about people’s passions with them and talk about what helps them stay stay substance free.
- My favorite memory was the Self Esteem workshop I did with Keenan, Anna, Katelyn and Halli
Ashley (Hillsboro, ND)
- I joined SADD in 8th grade because it was the thing a lot of my peers were doing, but the programming and activities made me stay.
- What I want to get out of being on NLAB is not only making life long friends but becoming a better leader.
- My favorite memory from this year’s conference was making memories without even realizing it!
Zane (Pelican Rapids, MN)
- I joined SADD because it seemed like a great organization to be apart of and would provide me many opportunities to gain more knowledge on the world outside of high school.
- I hope to make lifelong friends while at the same time making others aware of what goes on around them and how they can stay away from it.
- My favorite memory was meeting Lee Erickson fro the first time, him telling me I could be on NLAB and then giving him a hug.
Miranda (New Rockford, ND)
- I joined SADD because I thought it was a wonderful organization to be apart of and loved what it stood for, plus I knew my friends wanted to be in it as well.
- I joined NLAB because I thought it was a great way to get the word out in SADD. You are a group of leaders who care about this organization and the people that are in it. I would love to focus on starting with mental health and self worth. Everyone struggles with these aspects in their lives and if they are not in the right place, you won’t make all the correct decisions. Mental health is where everything sprouts from and is extremely important to talk about.
- My favorite memory was last year on the last day of conference. I knew that my new NLAB friends would be there for me forever and I was very thankful to be apart of such a wonderful group and organization.
Erin (Hannaford, ND)
- I joined SADD because Grace made it seem like an opportunity I couldn’t pass up.
- I hope to spread information about mental health and how important it really is, and how it can be a huge impact on your life, positively or negatively.
- My favorite memory was the obstacle course we did during NLAB training the day before conference started!
Halli (Hillsboro, ND)
- I joined SADD to be a positive influence on others and help others through things I wouldn’t have been able to overcome without the peer support group that SADD offers.
- This year I would like to inspire people to be themselves while choosing a healthy lifestyle.
- My favorite memories from conference are Sommer’s reaction to when I hugged her when she got to the Alerus, our NLAB jam sessions and Adam’s reaction to when I almost ate more wings than the boys!
Lauren (New Rockford, ND)
- I joined SADD because I believe in what it stands for. It stands for something very influential and and sends good messages. I also have a lot of peers who were in SADD.
- This year on NLAB, I really want to focus on getting more of South Dakota and Minnesota involved in SADD. I also want to focus on increased membership and how active the members are. I would also like to put an emphasis on mental health because I feel it’s a very overlooked topic.
- I honestly don’t think I can choose one conference memory, it was amazing just to be reunited with all of the NLAB and show everyone what we have been working so hard on all year!
Abby (Pelican Rapids, MN)
- I joined SADD to be apart of a group who was making good choices and to find people who want to have fun without the need of substances.
- I hope to inform my peers about the dangers of self destruction, which includes substance abuse and mental health. I would also like to get Minnesota more involved.
- My favorite memory was meeting new people who share the same passions as I do, especially Lee Erickson and the rest of the NLAB!
Carter (Redfield, SD)
- I joined SADD because I wanted to be a part of an organization where I could have a voice.
- I hope to be able to start sort of a SADD start up kit for schools that don’t have a SADD chapter, I also want to improve communications between other SD SADD chapters and Northern Lights along with communication between National SADD and Northern Lights.
- End of last year’s conference when the new NLAB made a huge circle and cried together.
Grace (Cooperstown, ND)
- I joined SADD because my sister came home from her first Northern Lights Conference with the “SADD Shuffle”, a dance routine that was taught to the conference attendees that year, which featured one of my favorite songs.
- One thing that I want to accomplish on the NLAB is to implement regional Jr. High conferences so that younger students aren’t so intimidated once they get to the large scale Northern Lights Conference.
- My favorite memory was when we dropped to the floor along with the bass at the dance and people were thinking we fell on accident.
Adam (Bismarck, ND)
- I joined SADD because I wanted to be able to make a positive impact on my community and to help the and adults in my town to make the right decisions.
- While on NLAB, I hope to learn more about leadership and how to help plan events on a large scale. I also want to influence my peers to make the right choices in a world that is quickly changing.
- My favorite memory from the conference is able to meet all of the amazing people on the NLAB! And also learning how to play the four chords I attempted on the ukulele and having awesome jam sessions, and I can’t wait to see all of them again this summer!